The livelihoods of the local communities in the forests are heavily dependent on forest and land resources. In recent years, the forests in the country have gradually degraded because forest lands are being converted to agri-cropping at household levels. These activities are induced by both the local communities and outsiders (in-migrants).
works in partnership with Actions for Development (AFD) and Provincial Department of Agriculture, Forestry, and Fisheries to induce appropriate livelihood programs that forward enhancing local incomes and reduce small-scale deforestation induced by household agricultural land expansion and new forest plot clearance.
is to reduce pressure on forest use and lessen deforestation by introducing appropriate livelihood program such as:
1. Free Deforestation Agricultural Commodity Production and Trade;
2. Support the value chains of the community-based resin enterprise;
3. Support the development of community-based forest conservation micro-grants;
4. Provide technical and financial support to the CF members to implement intensive and sustainable agricultural practices towards improving agricultural land and increasing farm productivity;
5. Promote and establish solar energy to support rural livelihoods and to serve as an alternative fuel source;
6. Improve community health care facilities in the CF areas; and
7. Promote community-based eco-charcoal enterprise and link it to the market.
Free Deforestation Agricultural Commodity Production and Trade
xxx households obtained direct benefits from the project. This is in relation to the project’s aim to “improve their degreased agricultural land and increase their agriculture productivities.” This way, the concerned households were able to sell agricultural products that are not illegal anymore just like before. Furthermore, we were able to market link their agricultural products through their participation with the Cooperate for Social Responsibility (CSR) in its agricultural cooperative.
Aside from these, we were able to initiate the following alternatives to increase the income of the concerned households and to reduce pressure on forest resource uses:
- Home-based solar charger
- Community-based resin enterprise
- Micro-conservation fund
- Environmental-friendly charcoal productions
- Community healthcare
- School bursary program